Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Pregnant!?


This week I have been super sleepy. Whereas I had been going to bed around 11:00/11:30 in recent weeks, this week, I took (or felt like taking) naps after work and still was ready for bed by 9pm. Then on Wednesday afternoon, there was a little bit of pink on my toilet paper and (since I have heard about implantation spotting) began to wonder. TMI? Sorry!

Thursday, November 17, I woke up, nothing unusual, but I thought about taking a test. But wait, me, pregnant? No, I couldn't believe that I would be so lucky to have it happen so easily. I almost decided I'd better not take a test when I realized that it would be wonderful to get some good news on the 8th anniversary of my Grandma's death. Then again, after that thought, I felt it would somehow be putting pressure on my Grandma to let me get a positive. Crazy, I know, but, again, I nearly dismissed the idea of testing. Ultimately, though, I went for it.

The control line showed up almost immediately, and I stopped looking at it and went about getting ready for work. I checked back a minute or so later and thought maybe I saw a hint of a line. No way. My eyes must be playing tricks on me. So I examined it closer, tilting the little stick this way and that in the light, and I knew I saw a line. It was faint, but it was a line!

Greg was still sleeping. I wanted to wake him up and ask him if he saw it, too, but I had no idea if he would even wake up enough to respond or if he would just mumble sleepily, not regaining full consciousness. That wouldn't be a fun pregnancy announcement. I wanted him to be fully awake. I guess I'll keep this a secret for a little while! I gave him a big kiss before leaving for work and didn't see him again until 5:30 that evening.

Throughout the day, I wanted to tell sooooomeone that I thought I might be pregnant. Yes, might: I still wasn't convinced. Knowing that my husband should (and that I wanted him to) be the first one to know, I didn't tell a soul.

When I got home that afternoon, I thought about how I could tell Greg the news. I didn't want to do anything cheesy though (you know, literally hide a bun in the oven, or feed him a bunch of baby-sized vegetables). However, I fell asleep (surprise!) in our over-sized living room chair before deciding on a plan, and I didn't wake up 'til Greg walked in the front door. Clever and creative plans take thinking time, and I had kept this secret allllllllll day. I had to tell him now!

I let him tell me a little about his day, asked him about baseball training, then Bailey, our dog, (through my voice) started talking to Daddy, and wound up telling him that she was worried about having to share him. She/I should have kept giving him little hints because he had no clue at this point, but I stopped and asked if he had heard her (he had) and then declared, "Yep- I'm pregnant!"

I don't remember his exact words, something like Not ah. Are you kidding me? You're kidding me. He obviously didn't believe me. I went and got the two tests (one from the morning and a second I had taken when I got back from work- yes, even with afternoon pee, the test line showed up) and showed them to him.

We were both amazed and sat wild-eyed for a few minutes, dreaming and talking about the future. What if we're still in this noisy dorm apartment when the baby is born? It better be a boy because Bailey is the princess (Greg's thought). He also said, "Well, that didn't take long," referring to getting pregnant and asked, "What do I do now?" I told him he didn't have to do anything yet, but he started predicting mood swings and cravings and began making jokes and teasing me about being a whale. Already! In his defense, he asked me if I would be offended by that, and I told him no. That might just change when I can't see my own feet.

 
11/19/11 *four weeks*

No comments:

Post a Comment